State Children’s Drama Festival – Acceptance of works for 2021 will be extended till 15th February 2022.
Download Application and Details:
Contact – 0112 872 385 / 0718 028 427
Objective and the Introduction
State Drama Festivals are among the several important events launched by the Department of Cultural Affairs for the better sustenance and promotion of culture in the country. It is envisaged to identity contemporary trends of the local art of drama and to direct the parties concerned to intervene in relevant fields of subjects.
State Children’s Drama Festival – General Rules
1. Duly filled applications issued by the State Drama Promotion Division of the Department of Cultural Affairs, together with 03 copies of the script and a summary of the drama directed by you, should be sent or handed over to the Director, Department of Cultural Affairs, 8th Floor, Sethsiripaya, Battaramulla before 28th December 2021. No fee is charged in this regard. “State Children’s Drama Festival- Limited/Open – 2021 “should be written compulsorily on the top left-hand corner of the enclosing envelope. Scripts suitable for production in the First Round will be evaluated by an independent Board and the relevant producers/schools/institutes will be informed in the month of May (2022).
2. Dramas selected to be staged in the Second Round will be selected at district/provincial level and the relevant applicants will be informed to stage their dramas on a date and a venue, closest possible to them. As these shows are conducted at day time, lighting facility will not be provided. Therefore, the Board of Judges will not consider make-up, costumes or lighting. But to encourage the drama troupe and to gain a better understanding on the drama, costumes, stage instruments and decorations, make-up could be used with the consent of the director of the drama.
3. Scripts presented for the festival will not be returned.
4. The name of the script writer should not be mentioned in the script but in the application.
5. As per the decision of the Board of Judges, the dramas that are most suitable to stage at the final round will be selected.
6. Artistes who have displayed outstanding performances at the Second Round will be issued a Merit Certificate at the occasion of the Awards Presentation Ceremony.
7. If there are several numbers of qualitative dramas, the Board of Judges will decide to have a Second semi-round.
8. It is envisaged to stage the dramas selected for the final round in Colombo. Each and every drama selected for the final round will be presented with a plaque at the Awards Presentation Ceremony.
9. The following prizes and certificates will be awarded for Limited and Open categories, on the decision of the proficient Panel of Judges at the Final Round.
Cash Prizes and Certificates for limited and open categories
- The best drama production of the year
First Place – Rs.50, 000.00
Second Place – Rs.30, 000.00
Third Place – Rs.25, 000.00
- Best drama script of the year
First place – Rs.25,000.00
Second Place – Rs.15,000.00
Third Place – Rs.10,000.00
- The most talented child actor of the year – Rs.20,000.00
- The most talented child actress of the year – Rs.20,000.00
- The most talented supporting child actor of the year – Rs.10,000.00
- The most talented supporting child actress of the year – Rs.10,000.00
- The best music of the year – Rs.15,000.00
- The best make-up of the year – Rs.15,000.00
- The best costume design of the year – Rs.15,000.00
- The best stage background of the year – Rs.15,000.00
- The best stage management of the year – Rs.15,000.00
- The best stage lighting of the year – Rs.15,000.00
- The best choreography of the year – Rs.15,000.00
- The best sound management of the year – Rs.15,000.00
In addition, according to the decision of the Panel of Judges merit certificates and cash prizes will be awarded to the participants who displayed special skills in the limited and open categories.
- The details of the contributors of the drama (signatures of all the contributors for the drama should be included here), presented at the meeting of the producers, held prior to the Final Round should be considered as the final.
- Any changes in contributors before the Final Round could be done by handing over a letter mentioning such changes, to the State Drama Promotion Division of the Department of Cultural Affairs with the signature of the relevant contributor. The responsibility of such changes lies upon the director of the drama.
- The State Advisory Council of Drama possess the authority to remove any dramas or cancel awards in case of furnishing incorrect information or violation of rules and regulations of the competition.
- The State Advisory Council of Drama will draw its attention to print any scripts that shows outstanding qualities.
- Action will be taken to stage dramas of outstanding qualities at provincial level.
- The two dramas that have placed first in the Final Round, under the open and the limited categories, will be staged at the Drama Festival of the ensuing year.
- Steps will be taken to get the participation of the writers and producers who have presented dramas for the Limited Category, at preliminary workshops.
- Steps will be taken to get the participation of the writers and producers who have presented dramas for the Open Category, at regional level workshops.
- Officers of the Department of Cultural Affairs or their family members are not allowed to take part, or present dramas either to limited category or to open category in this competition.
- Names of only two artistes should be presented in maximum for any single award in the Limited Category and Open Category.
- The decision of the Panel of Judges would be the final.